Celebrate Earth Day & Arbor Day with WYEP and Tree Pittsburgh!
We’ve partnered with the folks at Tree Pittsburgh to help sustain and grow Pittsburgh’s urban forests AND your favorite public radio station.
Let your WYEP membership take root! Make your gift now.
- $5 a month, Plant a Tray of 50 Seedlings: Seeds are where it all begins. Tree Pittsburgh grows trees from locally collected seeds, which are either native or proven to be hardy enough for our urban conditions. Your sustaining membership will plant a tray of 50 seeds with the potential to grow into strong, urban trees!
- $10 a month, Room to Grow!: As seeds grow into seedlings, they need more space. Depending on the species, seedlings are transplanted several times to give them the best start towards being a strong, resilient tree. Your gift of $10 a month or $120 all at once will help transplant seedlings, giving them the space needed to prosper. Give now!
- $10 a month, Plant TWO Trays of 50 Seedlings: Your $10 a month sustaining membership will allow 100 seeds to take root at Tree Pittsburgh with the potential to grow into strong, urban trees. Plant seeds with your gift now!
- $12.50 a month, Commemorate Arbor Day: Happy 150th Anniversary of Arbor Day (in America)! The American Arbor Day was started by journalist J. Sterling Merton in Nebraska in 1872. While some states celebrate Arbor Day on different days according to their tree planting season, Pennsylvania celebrates the national holiday – on the final Friday of April. Make a gift of $12.50 a month or $150 all at once to commemorate the sesquicentennial of this important day!
- $15 a month, Provide Protection for Growing Trees: Mulch is important in every stage of a tree’s life. In our Heritage Nursery, we use wood chips to “heal in” our trees, which means we protect them from the winter cold by covering our potted trees with mulch on all sides. Once a tree is in the ground, mulch helps to reduce weeds, conserves moisture, and as it breaks down its nutrients help to improve the soil around the tree. A $15 a month sustaining membership will help Tree Pittsburgh protect growing trees with mulch or wood chips. Donate now to support public radio and Tree Pittsburgh!
- $20/month: Same as the $10 month, just twice as many trees!
- $25 a month, Help Tree Pittsburgh Plant a Tree: So much goes into planting a tree. From the work at the Heritage Nursery to the staff and volunteers who put trees in the ground, to the ever-important equipment that protects trees from deer and other obstacles. You can help Tree Pittsburgh plant a healthy, native tree with your sustaining membership of $25 a month or a one-time gift of $300!
About Tree Pittsburgh
Tree Pittsburgh is a nonprofit organization that protects and grows a healthy and robust urban forest that enhances our region’s livability and community well-being through innovative programs and practices that strengthen the urban forest.
Founded in 2006 to address the concern for the well-being of Pittsburgh’s trees that improve the region’s quality of life, Tree Pittsburgh’s mission is to grow and maintain a healthy and robust tree canopy that enhances Pittsburgh’s livability and community well-being through innovative programs and practices that strengthen the urban forest. Tree Pittsburgh is the only local organization exclusively dedicated to urban forestry.
Tree Pittsburgh achieves their mission through our core programs that include…
- Urban Forest Management and Community Technical Support: Tree Pittsburgh’s team, which includes International Certified Arborists, consult and work with municipal leaders and Shade Tree Commissions to provide community technical support. This work empowers communities to create their own plans for managing their urban forest.
- Tree Planting and Reforestation: Tree Pittsburgh works with volunteers and other partners to care for and plant trees, specifically focused on areas that have seen a decline in tree canopy.
- Tree Care and Maintenance: Tree Pittsburgh builds community by caring for newly planted trees in neighborhoods around the city.
- Heritage Nursery: The Heritage Nursery grows trees from locally collected seeds. They plant these trees in our own restoration projects and sell them wholesale to strengthen the region’s urban forest.
- Education: Tree Pittsburgh develops and delivers solution-oriented, STEM-based educational programs that engage and inspire current and next-generation environmental advocates.
- Volunteering & Engagement: Tree Pittsburgh provides many opportunities for residents, students, and colleagues to get hands-on experience in caring for the region’s urban forest. This also builds community on a neighborhood, school, or company level.
- Tree Adoption Events: Tree Pittsburgh’s Tree Adoption Events provide homeowners throughout Allegheny County trees for their property, which adds beauty to their yards while increasing our region’s tree canopy.